How can I reduce my SQL Server 2008 database size?
My application is slow as as a result of increasing db volume.
You have three options, none of which will involve me telling you to shrink your database:
- Archive old data by deleting it
- Archive old data by moving it to another database and use views to allow people historical access
- If you’re on Enterprise Edition, check out data compression
There are also magical options which require no data movement or deletion:
- Add as much RAM as your server and licensing allows
- Tune indexes using a script like sp_BlitzIndex (full disclosure, I’m one of the authors of that script)